Tuesday, January 27, 2015

BCS Winter Challenge

Hey everyone!
Jennifer Buxton of Braymere Custom Saddlery is holding a photo contest! As soon as I saw it, I wanted to get to work.

I love taking photos and the prompts issued for this challenge really got me thinking. So - although they might not be the best - here are my photos!

1. Vintage
When I was writing down my ideas for the prompts, I got snagged on "Vintage." "I don't have any vintage models," I said. My models stared back at me in disgust. I have four vintage models. So, here is my oldest:

 Phar Lap.
Inside this horse's leg is carved (C) 1984 and 20th century fox. He was a gift to me from my mamaw, and so even though he's considered body quality, I doubt I'll ever customize him. I might send him off to be restored, though.
Untitled by Ayedeas

2. Nekkid
There were so many different ways I could've gone about doing this, but once I got thinking, one image plastered itself into my mind. Unfortunately I didn't have a cloth thin enough to pull it off elegantly, but I hope the concept still stands!

3. Scale Issues
Okay, I thought about a lot of ways I could do this, but I decided to touch home with a problem I had in my childhood - riding my Our Generation (American Girl) horses. There was a time where it wasn't too bad - it was just like riding a small donkey, but as I got older, I noticed the horse was getting smaller, and smaller. So, here I present to you - Scale Issues!

The horse in the photo is for sale!

4. I See Spots
I knew exactly what I was going to do for this one. For the past couple of weeks, I've been working on giving a cutting horse appy marks. I've lost sleep over working on him, and I felt no model would be better to execute this than he. He's almost completed, and once he is, he, too, will be for sale!

EDIT: He is completed and for sale! 

5. Unbridled Passion
When you hear the words "Unbridled Passion," you think mustangs. Wild horses. Galloping. You might even think of the scene from Flicka, where she's galloping with her arms spread and head back. 

I say it can be more than that. You don't have to be galloping at full speed bareback and bridleless to have unbridled passion. It can be the gentlest of moments that really tug at your heart. And with that, here's my take on "Unbridled Passion."

6. Rare breed
This is where I had another brain fart. I was looking at my models, thinking "Man, I really don't have a rare breed." I mean, yeah, there's the Przewalski resin I'm sculpting, but he's not even finished let alone painted, so I didn't count him. I stared, and stared, identifying the breeds of all of my models, when one stuck out like a sore thumb - almost literally if you get a good look at it. 

While it's technically not a breed per se, it's definitely rare.

Here's Victim of Science - my experimental zombie custom. (bit of a pic dump here)







7. Portrait
I thought about what I could do with this one, because portraits are pretty generic things in the model horse hobby. Unfortunately, I didn't come up with anything productive, but hopefully it has an impact all the same!


These next ones are from November (thanksgiving morning, actually), but I liked them enough to include!




8. Conga
Okay, I swear I'm mostly sane. 
With that being said, as soon as I realised I DO have a conga (three actually) the first thing I thought was "Satanic ritual"

I'm not a satanist, so I have no idea where that came from. But, that didn't stop me from doing it!

It looks more like some friends telling stories by a camp fire, no? <I'M TRYING TO MAKE IT FRIENDLY OKAY>

G1 Swaps and G1 Seabuiscut stablemates - all but one are bodies that I'll be customizing soon.


9. The Great Outdoors
It's too cold where I live to go out and take some new photos, so I hope you don't mind if I recycle! One thing I love doing with my models is taking them outside and getting pictures. It's a challenge for me to get the scales of the background and foreground correct to the model, and at the same time make it seem realistic. So, here are some photos that I liked from my Thanksgiving shoot, repurposed for this contest!

 It's horsehair on her vest shhhh




10. Best in Show 
I don't live show. There's only one place in my current area that holds live shows and the next one they're hosting is after I've already moved to Kentucky. Maybe someday! Because of that, I can't show you my "most prized winner" because, well, I don't have one.

So, have this instead! I know what I could've changed to make it better, but overall, I like it!



That concludes my entry!
If you haven't already, I highly suggest you go check out the contest. Even if you don't win, it's a great way to exercise your creativity!

See you next time (hopefully with a tutorial!)
Over and out!

2 comments: