Monday, November 2, 2015

Coloured Pencils = Zombies

With last month being October, I was very interested in participating in Drawtober/Drawlloween. I had gotten up to the 9th day, when I quit. I just wasn't feeling all-that-motivated to draw. When my friend had seen my drawings, she offered to give me her coloured pencils. She had a pack of 50 that she wasn't using, and she was shocked to know that I only had a basic pack of 12 coloured pencils. I accepted, without hesitation. using coloured pencils allows me to add shades and colours as I would a graphite pencil, which I have become accustomed to. I did the first 9 prompts of Drawtober traditionally, because lately I haven't been able to complete a digital painting.

So even though I quit on drawtober, I still had this pack of 50 pencils and I knew I needed to use them. That's what I got them for, after all!

The 8th prompt of Drawtober was zombie. When I was thinking about what exactly to draw for this prompt. the thought crossed my mind to draw a zombie horse. After all, I had never coloured one up to this point, and it was something I wanted to do. I decided against it, solely because I draw zombie horsess all the time as concepts for my work. When was the last time I drew a proper zombie? 2012, if I remember correctly

I ended up drawing the Hunter from Left 4 Dead 2 - with, a few minor tweaks.


As I was looking at this pack of coloured pencils, I thought back to how much I wanted to draw and colour that zombie horse. Shia Labeouf echoed through my head:


 So I did.

Seven coloured pencils and four hours later, I emerged with this:


It won't end there. I plan to give it a full background, be it traditionally or digitally after turning it into a painting. I have yet to decide which. 

Regardless, I love the calmness of the horse, despite its current state. Remember this, as I have plans for it in the future, 


Over and Out!

No comments:

Post a Comment