Friday, February 6, 2015

What's Hot in the Workshop

Most of you may know that I don't just do custom horses - I create original sculptures as well!

I am still working on my Przewalski resin and swore to myself that I couldn't start any others intil it's finished, but that was before I was introduced to an easier sculpting program.

Besides my model horses, I also dabble in a bit of CG work, and have been working a lot in Blender to create models for a video game I'm planning. The problem with Blender is that it's too mathematical in the way models are created - and tedious, too. You pull vertices and extrude faces and planes and maybe once in a blue moon you'll have enough vertices to use its sculpting feature. Yeah, your head hurts trying to think about it doesn't it? Try doing it!

This program though, Sculptris, is completely free and is essentially "Clay Simulator" as you literally sculpt inside your computer screen. You have to have at least a little bit of understanding for CG, but not much. You need more understanding for sculpting than you do about CG terminology. This is literally my first time using it and I got the bulk of the sculpting done in a few hours - it's that easy to use.

Anyway!

To play around in it, I decided to try and sculpt one of the things I had been thinking about sculpting for a while now - a Welsh Cob horse! I have to admit, there aren't any Welsh Cobs in my area so my sculpt - at the moment - isn't very accurate. In fact, it looked like a Quarter Horse just a few hours ago. Now it's looking a bit more like a Welshie! I might have to dull the muscles in the neck some. I feel like that's a good factor for the QH-esque look. That, and the rump. We'll see.

Click to Enlarge

With the description one of my friends gave me, I revised it. After Sculptris crashed over 5 times, I finally got it "finished" and saved!

I did save the original version, and will release it as a QH (maybe with a few tweaks to differentiate the two) as soon as I get the funds :)

Change Log:

~Shortened Legs
~Shrunk ears
~Widened forehead
~Narrowed muzzle (it was bothering me)
~Dished face
~Shortened back
~Made head slightly smaller as per reference

I'm sure once it gets hair it'll look more like it, but as is - if there's anything needing changed, don't be afraid to let me know! If it's anything major, I'd like to get it done before I get a physical copy since my dremel has a cold and I can't fix it XD

  It'll still be a while before I finish it and cast it, but I figured it would be interesting to show the other side of model horses - digital!


QH version:


No comments:

Post a Comment