Sunday, September 6, 2015

Zombie Commission Update


I started the emaciation work on [C]Pestilence a few nights ago, and the plastic is moulding well for me. I needed to do some work on that shoulder, but it wasn't a problem.



Next I had to shape the rump so I can remove the excess plastic without creating a large hole, while at the same time getting it shaped for the emaciated look. I also have to work on the thigh and shaping that. I'm still thinking about how I want to cut that thigh to move the leg.

I also have to think about what I'm doing with the rib-hip transition. Since I'm carving out the ribs I'll probably leave an inch-wide strip along the spine to work with. If not I can always sever it completely like I did with VoS and rebuild it, but I'll try to keep as much of it as I can.

It's rare that a model works for me, so I'm anticipating the moment I accidentally butcher it and have to work hard to correct my mistake. 

I finished most of the emaciation work last night, though I have to work on the rump area a little more. There's a lot of rump that shouldn't be there! 



You can see the difference in the re-worked plastic and the mostly-original sculpt here:



I'm not worried about burning the plastic in this area, since it'll be removed and sanded/sculpted over anyway. Any pinholes I miss will just turn into insect holes in the end ;)


As you can see above, I started carving the ribs. After three ribs I had to stop for the night. Who knew carving would hurt your knuckles?? This is the part that'll take the longest, since I can only do so many a day/in a sitting. These aren't finished, by the way, I'm going to refine them once I have them all carved out.


I'm also not worried about the scratches. since they'll be refined, they'll be sanded over. The plastic is also thick, so I have a lot of wiggle room to make mistakes here. And if I break a rib? So be it! It'll add character! In the end I'm going to add scratches and nicks to the bone anyway. Since the ribs will be exposed and most of the insides removed, the marks in the bone and flesh will point toward scavengers, and imply the corpse was eaten post-mortem and peri-... undeadedness. If that's not a word, it is now! ;)

I'm going to work on the ribs some more tonight. I might also work on the thighs and do some refining of the work in-between, but the updates will be slow since I don't expect to get all of the ribs carved out in one day. 


So far, though, I'm pleased with his progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment